We need six to eight stories from the following sources. We’re looking for stories that take place in Canada or (ideally) the Atlantic region that were posted within the past 24 hours (or 36 hours, if it’s Monday).
Ideally, we want stories about universities and the challenges they face. We want our readers to say, “That is happening or could happen here in Halifax.” In a pinch, we’ll take stories about public lectures at universities or research produced by faculty members. But we don’t want general-interest stories where the only university angle is an interview with a professor. And we’re not looking for coverage of sports unless the story illustrates a broader issue.
The trick is to find stories that travel well. A story about residence room burglaries at a small university in South Wales might not interest many readers in Nova Scotia. But a story about a university officer accused of financial misappropriation would.
Do not include opinion pieces.
So, read yesterday’s Digest to see what stories we’ve already summarized, and take a look and see what you can find:
- Start with a general Google News search for terms such as “university“, “post-secondary” and “college“
- Macleans Education
- Globe and Mail Education
- University Affairs
- Do any news searches you can to find recent Canadian post-secondary education news
- Check to see if there is any news about Atlantic universities at these sources:
Also check the student news sites (most are weeklies, so get only new stories):
- Memorial University: The Muse
- St. FX: The Xaverian
- Dalhousie Gazette
- St. Mary’s University: SMU Journal
- Acadia U.: The Athenaeum
- University of New Brunswick: Brunswickan
- Concordia U: The Link
- McGill Daily
- Queen’s Journal
- U. of Ottawa: The Fulcrum
- Ryerson U: The Eyeopener
- U. of T. The Varsity
- University of Western Ontario: Gazette Daily
- Wilfrid Laurier University: The Cord
- York U.: Excalibur
- U. of Alberta: The Gateway
- U. of Calgary: The Gauntlet
- UBC: The Ubyssey
- Simon Fraser University: The Peak
- U. Vic: The Martlet
As soon as you have selected your stories, meet briefly with the Co-ordinating Editor to confirm the story lineup. If another editor is also working on the section, ensure there is no overlap. Write these up in Google Docs.
These are to be SHORT summaries:
- Rewrite it in your own words to make it tighter and clearer
- 75 words max. (85 in an absolute pinch)
- Include the who, what, where, why, when and how
- Does the headline tell the story? If not, rewrite it
- It should take you 10-15 minutes per story
The format should look like this:
Hard times hitting U.S. students and schools
New York Times
Record numbers of students turning up for classes in the United States this fall are homeless or poor enough to qualify for free meals. “We’re seeing a lot more children in poverty,” said Lauren Roberts, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County school system in Kentucky. Increases in the price of fuel and food, coupled with the economic downturn, have left schools across the country cutting costs. Detroit has laid off at least 700 teachers and Miami-Dade County has let go hundreds of school psychologists, maintenance workers and custodians.
Share or email each summary so the Co-ordinating Editor can get to work.